2.7 Million Users
Let’s be honest – those among us who truly enjoy filling out dating profiles are few and far between. There is a certain amount of awkwardness that can accompany introducing yourself to a stranger – and that’s when you’re doing it in person. Now add the fact that you’re doing so online.
On the one hand, that can make it easier for those who are maybe a bit more introverted and therefore not quick to hit up pubs and parties. On the other hand, it can also be a bit odd to see your name and details there for all to see, especially if you aren’t exactly an online expert to begin with.
Seniors are a perfect example of this cross section of society in action. On average, seniors tend to be a bit less tech-interested or savvy, doubly so when it involves online sites and apps.
Chances are that you haven’t seen many seniors out there partying it up on a British Pub Crawl or howling at a Super Bowl party. (And if you are such a senior – you are an inspiration to us all, bravo).
That’s why sites such as Senior Match can be such a huge boost for seniors still looking for love, but not eager to do so in a super techy way.
You’re over 50.
You’re silver-haired and proud of it.
You want to find someone who shares that same adventurous spark and is ready for true companionship.
One of the great things about dating sites is that they allow people to connect in ways that they might never have thought possible before. That’s true of the whole Internet, of course, but there is something special about the way that the best dating sites bring people together who might otherwise never have met. This is perhaps truest of its most unlikely members – namely, those who are hesitant to join up at all.
This is true of Senior Match. As indicated above, it really is geared towards seniors in general and those who might have otherwise thought twice about trying a dating site.
This is, in short, a dating site for seniors who don’t want to deal with the drama and fuss of a “typical” dating site.
Instead, everything is very simplified, streamlined, and straightforward, starting with the intro page.
- When you log onto the site, you’ll be greeted by a sign up menu, where you’ll select your age from a drop down menu (the lowest allowable age is 45.)
You will also be able to state whether you are looking for a man or woman (regardless of your orientation), and then select your state or province as well as your country.
If you scroll down a bit, you’ll be able to see blurbs that the site offers on its focuses, including “Travel Mates” and “Activity Partners.”
Those descriptions are another good example of the on-site culture. Senior Match tries to position itself as being a great place to meet active seniors, so hey – if you are up for that pub crawl, or maybe a trip to Paris or fun in the sun, this can be a great place to find a companion ready to share all of that with you.
- “Companionship” is another key word found on that front page, and it’s important, as it can be both romantic and platonic.
Where users on other dating sites are often caught up in the newfound freshness of love and lust, the users on Senior Match have been through all of that before.
They have professional, personal, and romantic pasts that stretch back decades. As such, they typically aren’t looking for a fling, but rather someone with whom they are truly compatible, be it in a romantic sense or in a platonic way.
If you have a senior in your life who could stand to meet a few more friends their own age with similar interests, Senior Match can actually be a very positive way for them to pursue that without it feeling like you’re trying to “set them up” with someone.
So, what about the features of the site itself?
- Easy to use – As stated, the site tends to streamline things, making it easy and accessible for seniors who may not be particularly tech-savvy. This is evident from the start, when you’ll be asked to fill out a profile with all the usual information – name, interests, location, etc.
- Winks – Users can also send “winks” to get other users’ attention.
- Messaging – One nice feature given the demographic is the ability to send pre-written messages, allowing seniors who are new to the online dating game to start messaging people, even if they “don’t know what to say” at first.
- Messenger – In addition, the site features an instant messenger – standard for pretty much all dating sites by this point, and again, reworked here to make it easy for seniors to use.
- Large user base – One of the biggest selling points of Senior Match as opposed to other online dating options for seniors is the fact that it offers a huge user base.
Where other online dating sites for seniors can sometimes boast a respectable few hundred thousand users, Senior Match purports to boast over 2.7 million. As such, this is a great site to choose if you want to make sure that all that profile crafting isn’t in vain.
With such a comparatively huge user base, if you log on and make the effort, chances are pretty good that someone will message you back.
- Forums – Plus, the site is also home to forums, and given the huge user base, these tend to be very active. You can use these forums to talk about any number of different topics you enjoy – dancing, cooking, books, travel, etc. – offering seniors one more way to connect with a companion they’ll love to meet.
If you are a senior and looking to find love, sooner or later you will have to pay for a membership. The membership is where you get all the perks when looking for love. Luckily, there are several pricing options as shown above in the pricing plans available.
You can sign up for a membership that lasts one, three, or six months.
Those prices are in line with other senior dating sites online.
The quality of Senior Match itself is typically seen as being at the average end for dating sites for seniors.
You get what you pay for in life, and so if you like the look and vibe of the site, it might be well worth the investment.
If you really do love the site, you can also upgrade to a Gold Membership and reap even more benefits.
Pros and Cons
- Easy to navigate and use
- Messaging easy for members to use and connect
- Cost effective plans
- Large user base
- Profiles not overly detailed
- Gold membership is expensive for the perks
One of the biggest obstacles for seniors looking to hit the online dating scene can be the very idea of “getting back out there.” After all, for many users, it has been years or even decades since they went on a date. Getting back in the swing of things after all that time can be challenging.
Thankfully, Senior Match rises to this challenge as well, offering dating advice to seniors that can double as great conversation starters when trying to break the ice with someone on the site.
All in all, Senior Match does an excellent job of creating a site that’s tailored for seniors looking to date or even just to find new friends. It’s a place for experienced people to share their experiences – and as a result can be an enriching experience.